Monday, June 26, 2006

The not perks of mommyhood

You know that the honeymoon of mommyhood is over when at 2am in the morning you're trying not to cry your eyes out because the baby won't sleep, even though he's been up for 3 hours now. He's not hungry, I offer him a boob and he just sits there looking at me like I'm the biggest idiot in the world. He doesn't need to be changed, he doesn't need burping, he doesn't want to be held, and he doesn't want to sleep obviously. Nevermind that I've been nursing him for the last 2 hours. If he wasn't so darn cute and if I didn't love him so much I'd threaten him with adoption right about now. But instead I'm out here typing and he's laying in his crib, thankfully 2 rooms apart with just a monitor between us. Mommy needed some time and space before she flipped and broke down. Now if mommy could just get some sleep, all would be well. Or if I hadn't just brushed my teeth, than I could eat some chocolate and see if that made me feel a bit better. This is where having a hubby that works nights sucks, cause the other people in the house are all sleeping and aren't any help to me either, right now.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh Betty, I hope it gets better!! What am I saying, it will get better!! If you can nap today, do it!! You have got the cutest baby and hubby. One thought I had (not that you need any advice), it might be something you ate that is causing him to be a little nutso right now. My son didn't like chocolate at all, he'd throw up every time I ate it. Daughter was fine with it if I remember correctly, her issue was canned and store bought fresh tomatoes, but if I bought them at the local farm she was fine.

Oh, I saw your intro on socknitters. What an accomplished knitter you are!! I wish I had been knitting at that age, grandma taught me as a girl, but I didn't pick it up again until my own daughter was about 8.

Enjoy your day, stay cool. (It's hot up here in OR now)

Kat said...

Betty, I know exactly how you feel!! Try to sleep when he sleeps, and the rest of it will take care of itself. Either that or you'll go crazy. Ask me how I know. ;-)

There are moments when you want to kill them (not really, but maybe sorely wish that someone ELSE would deal with them for a little while) and then they do something that absolutely makes you melt.

Things will get better, and I'll send good thoughts your way.

Mrs. Falstaff said...

Oh, have I ever been there. It does get better - sleep when the baby sleeps is the best advice, and forget about everything else till he's on a more regular sleep schedule. If people ask if they can help, ask for casseroles, so you don't have to cook.

My advice, fwiw.