Friday, October 05, 2007

Happy birthday..........to me

Ok, this makes me laugh to no end. Every year, since I was old enough to get birthday cards from my dad, he's gotten my birthday wrong. And not by a day or 2 either, sometimes by a whole month! Yes, he's not been around in my life that much, for which I'm actually thankful, but still, it's only 6 days before his! He gets my sisters day right, he gets my mom, and he gets my half-brothers (whom I've never met) right, but he can't remember mine. It just makes me laugh.

So for my special day, I'm babysitting (ok, conscripting her to help watch Scott for me) my friends 9 year old step-daughter to be. I know, seems weird, but I like her and she loves helping with Scott. We're just gonna run around in my now very dented car (more on that farther down) and than I'm going to teach her how to cook a little, as we make my birthday cake. Yes, I have to make my own cake. I have to make my own prime rib dinner too, because I won't let J in my kitchen.

As to the dented car, yesterday J changed lanes right into the front bumper of another car. Woohoo! Is it sad when your car is worth so little that the insurance would rather total it out than pay the money to fix it. I'll post pictures, cause the damage isn't horrible, just ugly.

Speaking of pictures, I'll be posting some of my loom. I still can't find my camera cable, but I found the phone cord for the computer, so I can take them with that. Expect those tomorrow, or later tonight.

I love my loom. I'm playing around with a belt, woven out of a rayon slub yarn, that's very pretty. Just have to practice on keeping straight edges. I haven't been spinning much lately, hurts my legs a lot. I have been knitting a lot. I can't find the pattern for the bunnies I was making, because a little person walked off with it, so for now I'm knitting a scarf for my partner, it looks like a sheep. I feel kinda bad though, it's only partly wool. But it looks pretty, and I think she'll like it. I also have a pin for her, but I can't say what it looks like, cause she might read this.

As for partners, something I forgot to mention that I got from my lovely partner. She sent me some Sherbert Lemon candies as well. For those not failure with the British phenomenon of Sherbert candies, think of lik-m-sticks, the powder that comes with those. And not forget the really fruity tart flavor, and make it smooth and creamy. That's Sherbert candy. Usually found with a lolly (sucker) to dip in there, or a straw of black licorice (EWWWWW). So I stick to the lollys. I hadn't seen these candies for a few years, since i moved away from my English neighbors. Thankfully I know where she got them, so I made a pilgrimage to Cost Plus World Market. There I found my wonderful Peach candies again, they're not Juicefuls but they are still good, and chocolate covered marzipan. I can't eat very much of the latter without wanting to enter a sugar induced coma, but it's SOOOOOO worth it.

Off to play with Scott and make up the grocery list for dinner tomorrow. I still havent' decided what I'll do for my cake yet, maybe bread pudding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the candies. More British goodies will come in the next package.

As for the loom - to make your edges a bit more een have you tried running 2 strand of your yarn at each end to create a selvedge. That seems to work best for me.

Finally - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! You should be getting an email surprise today.

Your Secret Pal