Thursday, August 07, 2008

County Fair

Today I went to the Kalamazoo County Fair, with free tickets from Portage Public Library's summer reading program. It was fun, and I would up eating too much Hawaiian Shaved Ice. Strawberry Colada flavor, so can you blame me?

I came away with something odder than the usual fair things. A mega double handful of Border Collie hair. Now you may be scratching your head and wondering what I'd want that for. Spinning, that's what. This hair has almost no guard hairs in it, the dog was freshly washed, and the ladies thought I was a little strange, but let me have it anyway. They admitted that while they spun they had never thought of spinning puppy fluff. Almost pure black BCH is being blended with whit BFL (hehe, letters are fun things). I'm wishing I had some actual hand carders now though, cause dog slicker brushes will take me a while to blend this up.

Dog hair is often called Chiengora, and is a beautiful fiber. It's warmer than wools, up to 8 times warmer. Yes, that's as warm as it's bunny "cousin" angora. It's best when blended with wool, to minimize shedding. It halos once washed, and no, it doesn't get that wet dog smell every time it's washed. Once it's been washed and cleaned the first time it will no longer smell like a wet dog. It's slightly heavier than wools, and has almost no elasticity. Another great reason to blend it with wool.

I'll post pictures prob this weekend, of the blended fiber. Tomorrow I get to get on a bus and see my baby boy! It's been almost 2 months, and it actually has been 7 weeks and 4 days. No, I'm not counting. :) This divorce is so stupid, and I don't feel bad in the least that now there's a bill to be paid to the lawyer. Ok, a little bad, because that's money that should be used for Scott, but I suggested he go to We The People and have it done there. Not my choice to go to a lawyer, so I refuse to feel uber guilty about it.

I get to see my boy! Happy day. 2 weeks isn't enough, but I'll take what I can get.

No comments: